It appears that June 11th is the time to drink your Gin. National Gin Day falls on June 11th this year, as does World Gin Day. Gin conjures up all sorts of reactions from people and has a long and very English-tinged history. Being that we were a British colony, that history was imported with the gin. Despite the strong association with Britain and colonization, gin is mostly acknowledged as having first been distilled in Holland in the early 17th century. Thus the term “Dutch Courage.” Most people order their gin in one of two ways: as a Gin and Tonic or as a Gin Martini (which is a redundant phrase if you ask me - a Martini should always be made with gin). But perhaps neither one of these appeals to you. Perhaps you are looking for something a little more interesting in your glass to celebrate this botanical treat. We’ve rounded up a few classic gin cocktails in honor of all this gin attention.
- The Tom Collins - Gin, lemon juice, sugar, and seltzer. Perfectly refreshing and created by the Father of American Mixology, Jerry Thomas.
- The Gin Gimlet - Simplicity itself. Gin and lime. Said to have been created to keep sailors from getting scurvy, it’s the best medicine around.
- Gin Fizz - An upgraded combo of the Tom Collins and the Gimlet, the gin fizz has both lemon and lime with the divine addition of the frothiness of an egg white.
- The Negroni - Gin, sweet vermouth, and campari. This one deserves it’s own week (June 6-12 actually, so right in line with World Gin Day). A sour little aperitif to start your evening off proper with an Italian flavor to it.
And in case we simply can’t convince you to drink the kool-aid of gin devotion, or if you need a little music to listen to while you sip your martinis, here are a couple gin tunes for you:
“Love is Like a Bottle of Gin” by the Magnetic Fields
“Gin Soaked Boy” by Tom Waits
“Misery and Gin” by Merle Haggard
Sit back, relax and enjoy some tunes and gin while you page through a copy of The Field Guide to Drinking in America.
Share this post
- Tags: cocktails, Dutch Courage, featured, Gin, Gin Cocktails, Gin Fizz, Gin Gimlet, Gin Songs, ice cream, National Gin Day, Negroni, related-the-field-guide-to-drinking-in-america, sidebar, tall trees of tokyo, the field guide to drinking in america, Tom Collins, World Gin Day