NEW BLOG — france
Posted by Bryn Kristi on
- Tags: Bastille Day, event, france, Paris, related-the-tall-trees-of-paris, related-tilikum-crossing, summer
Posted by Julie Swearingen on
When’s the last time you grabbed a quick drink in France? Was it a lovely glass of wine or a fun cocktail? Personally, when I think of French drinking culture, I think first of wine, not cocktails. And whether that’s because I haven’t been there in 19 years, or because we think of wine as inherently French and cocktails as more American, are both subjects for another time. Let’s talk cocktails in France. First, if you want some first-hand recommendations for finding great drinks in Paris, check out the artists’ interviews in The Tall Trees of Paris--each one is asked...
- Tags: cocktails, France, French, French 75, Kir Royale, Matt Wagner, related-the-tall-trees-of-paris, Sidecar, the tall trees of paris
Posted by Emily Hagenburger on
Ever wondered how other countries view American cities? Thanks to this article by French newspaper Le Monde featuring Overcup author Matt Wagner, you can see for yourself what quirky aspects of Portland particularly stick out to those abroad. Image Source It seems that what Le Monde appreciates the most about our city is our artist community, our doughnuts, our bridges, and our naked bike race. If you don't happen to be fluent in French, see a complete translation of the article below! You loved San Francisco? You’ll love Portland Bridges, street art, and bikes, the capital of Oregon seems like a Californian metropolis with...
- Tags: art, artists, France, French, Le Monde, Matt Wagner, Portland, Portlandia, related-the-tall-trees-of-paris, the tall trees of paris, travel
Posted by Emily Hagenburger on
Thursday, July 14th, is Bastille Day, the French national holiday celebrating the Storming of the Bastille—a pivotal event in the French Revolution of 1789. This year, with the recent publication of Matt Wagner’s The Tall Trees of Paris, we are celebrating Bastille Day in style—with a wine pairing! Join author Matt Wagner and Overcup Press at Pairings Wine Shop and Bar in NE Portland this Bastille Day at 5pm for a fun flight of French fancy. Fifteen dollars will get you a flight of five wines from contemporary French winemakers that have been painstakingly paired with five amazing French artists...
- Tags: artists, Bastille Day, celebrate, France, matt wagner, PairingsPdx, Portland, related-the-tall-trees-of-paris, tall trees of, the tall trees of paris, travel, wine
Posted by Kaylee Pratt on
If you love Japanese culture, creative rebirth of tradition, or art in general, you’d be fascinated by Matt Wagner’s annual Ema show. The Portland-based curator of Hellion Gallery just wrapped up the third and final venue of this year’s display. But first things first: what are Ema? According to Japanese tradition, one of the first emperors would donate a black horse to a Shinto shrine to bring rain, or a white horse to end it. As time carried on, the tradition morphed into more financially manageable means, becoming what are now known as Ema. The word itself means “picture of a...
- Tags: art show, ema, france, hellion gallery, paris, related-the-tall-trees-of-paris, the tall trees of paris