10 Inspiring Arts Events Happening in Portland This Month
By Molly MacGilbert
Posted in Overcup Press, on May 09, 2018
Image source: https://unsplash.com/photos/YLpyN3uaZqI
Along with May flowers, Portland’s summer art scene is beginning to bloom. Time to unwrap yourself from your blanket burrito, open the curtains and venture out for a little culture and inspiration. We’ve rounded up a list of current and upcoming local exhibitions, performances and activities worth leaving the house for:
- 2018 Curatorial Prize: Ultra Vivid Dreaming Photo Exhibition: This free exhibition includes photography and video by Elliott Jerome Brown, Jr. and Shikeith. Sunday, May 6 through Sunday, June 3, Blue Sky Gallery/Oregon Center for the Photographic Arts (122 N.W. Eighth Ave., Portland, OR 97209).
- Asian Heritage Month: Lan Su Chinese Garden celebrates Asian Heritage Month with a variety of cultural activities and performances each weekend in May. Sunday, May 6 through Thursday, May 31, Lan Su Chinese Garden (239 N.W. Everett St., Portland, OR 97209).
- Josh Keyes & Tiffany Bozic at Talon: Portland artist Josh Keyes and California-based artist Tiffany Bozic are featured at Talon Gallery in Portland from May 4 through May 31. Keyes was a featured artist in The Tall Trees of Portland.
- Forces of Nature: Historic Portland Floods, Fires, Ice & Snow: This photography exhibit illustrates how Portland has felt nature’s fury throughout the city’s 170-year history. Sunday, May 6 through Sunday, July 8, Pittock Mansion (3229 NW Pittock Drive, Portland, OR 97210).
- The Feeling Good Handbook: Featuring paintings by Heidi Hahn and video and installation by Shana Moulton, this exhibition approaches alienation and loneliness in a disconnected society. Tuesday, May 8 through Saturday, June 2, Upfor Gallery (929 N.W. Flanders St., Portland, OR 97209).
- Oregon Society of Artists Group Exhibit with Portland Photographers Forum: Oregon Society of Artists and Portland Photographers Form present a group photography exhibit. Sunday, May 6 through Friday, May 25, Oregon Society of Artists (2185 S.W. Park Pl., Portland, OR 97205).
- Picturing Oregon: In celebration of the 125th anniversary of Portland Art Museum, Picturing Oregon exhibits paintings and photographs inspired by Oregon’s distinct natural features. Sunday, May 6 through Sunday, Aug. 19, Portland Art Museum (219 S.W. Park Ave., Portland, OR 97205).
- Place Names: Pacific Northwest-based artists Manuel Arturo Abreu and Christopher Paul Jordan use various mediums to explore objects that create a sense of place. Sunday, May 6 through Sunday, May 20, The Art Gym at Marylhurst University, BPJ 3rd Floor (17600 Pacific Highway, Marylhurst, OR 97036-0261).
- Renée Hartig & Kelli MacConnell: This exhibit features work from oil painter Renée Hartig and linocut printmaker Kelli MacConnell showcasing the lush landscape of the Pacific Northwest. Sunday, May 6 through Wednesday, May 23, Ford Gallery (2505 S.E. 11th Ave., Portland, OR 97202).
- Thresholds & Reflections: New Paintings by Deborah DeWitt: Deborah DeWitt’s oil paintings illuminate the beauty in the mundane with everyday people in everyday scenes. Sunday, May 6 through Tuesday, June 19, White Bird Gallery (251 N. Hemlock, Cannon Beach, OR).
If you can’t make it to all or any of these events, be sure to pick up Tall Trees of Portland for a curated collection of local art, celebrate Asian Heritage Month with Tall Trees of Tokyo, or take a trip to la ville de l’amour with Tall Trees of Paris—all available now through Overcup Books.