- Reds are the best with meals like steak, lamb or mushroom. Tannic reds (meaning the element that makes wine taste "dry") such as Cabernet and Syrah are great date-night meal wines!
- Whites are best paired with seafood or spicy meals. Alcohol accentuates the oils that make spicy food hot, so Rieslings are a good low-alcohol choice for curries and other fiery dishes.
- Rosé is a pinkish-tinted wine that is the best of both worlds. It is the drink of choice for many beach-goers and brunch groups, since it is a nice combination of red and white wine. It is best served with rich, cheesy foods.
2.) For girls night:
- We don't know about you, but when it's time to watch a sappy movie and talk about Life-with-a-capital-L with your best friend, a good wine can make or break the evening. This can depend on the preference of your and your friends' tastes, but a light, low-alcohol wine can take you a long way. Moscato is a white, slightly fizzy wine that is fruity and sweet. It's also great with dessert!
3.) For celebrations:
- Sparkling wine is the most popular wine of choice for weddings, parties, and other momentous times. But to actually be called "champagne," the wine must be made in Champagne, France. It usually falls on the higher end of the price range, so if you're looking for something a little more affordable, Prosecco spumante is a good way to go. It's typically a bit sweeter than champagne, but it's nice and bubbly.
4.) For learning what you like:
- Don't be afraid to try new things! There are many different types of wine, and the only way to know what you like is to taste as many as possible. A winery is a GREAT place to go to get a feel of what you enjoy the most, since many of them offer tasting tours. There are also many delicious, affordable wines that you can take home and split with a friend!
We love to sit back with a glass of wine and read a good book! Overcup has quite a few great books to choose from, like The Tall Trees of Portland, for example. Have fun with your tasting, and let us know what your favorites wines are!