Four Ways to Support Small Business This Holiday Season
Posted by Rachel Bell on
Like most things in 2020, holiday shopping is different this year.
Small businesses need your support to ensure they are able to serve their communities into the future. At Overcup, we're working to build a catalog of titles that will support our community of readers through the coming years with a diverse range of titles.
There are many ways to support local bookstores and shops in the coming weeks. Below are a few ways you can #shopsmall and #shoplocal this year.
1. Find your local independent bookstore here.
There are maps for each region of the U.S. and a map that includes BIPOC and Indigenous-owned bookstores. Check their websites to learn how you can shop from them direct this season.
- If you live in our hometown of Portland, Oregon - Shop at some of our favorite independent bookstores like Broadway Books, Annie Bloom's, Powell's, and Two Rivers Bookstore. Be sure to check out their websites to see about appointment shopping, curbside pickup, and other ways to shop.
- Have a favorite bookstore to add to our map? Contact us and we'll add your favorite bookstore to this growing effort.
2. Visit Bookshop.org
Find your favorite bookstore on the site using the link above. When you shop here, a portion of your purchase is given back to independent bookstores.
3. Looking for a specific independent press title?
Our website is a great place to shop for Overcup titles. You're here already so take a look at our titles and order direct. Media Mail shipping is free.
Many of our independent publisher friends sell books directly on their websites. Visit Prospect Park Books, Microcosm, Young Authors Publishing, Chalice Press, and Rocky Mountain Books for some great gifts!
4. This season, you'll also find great ways to support local makers online!
Below are some of the ways we're selling through Oregon-based local online marketplaces this year. We're guessing your community has some local shopping sites as well. Contact us and we'll add them to this blog post!
- Built Oregon Marketplace - Here you can shop for gifts from dozens of makers throughout Oregon.
- Window Shop 2020 - Walking into stores in your favorite part of town is next to impossible this year. The fine folks at Makers Union PDX and Portland Made have taken over store windows in neighborhoods throughout the city, displaying goods. Window shoppers click a QR code and are directed to a website to shop. 15% of sales will be donated to the Black Resilience Fund.
- City Shoppe - Feed your shopping wanderlust by virtually strolling through stores in several U.S. cities to find the perfect gift!
- Bindle makes it easy to shop from several makers and pick up your order in one place.
There are dozens of options in every city to safely shop small this season. We hope you'll take the opportunity to spend your holiday budget at stores that keep money in your community.