As the country continues to deal with the effects of the Covid-19 pandemic, readers’ shelves are becoming bare as we devour our ‘to be read’ piles. Here at Overcup Press we’re keeping independent bookstores and small publishers at the forefront of our minds so we’ve put together a short list of things to keep in mind while you shop for new books!
If shopping in person:
- Be courteous and kind. It’s simple and it’s big. We’re feeling global stress like we never have before and, while we hope you always do these things, it’s especially important right now.
- Wear a face mask when you go out. Some states have mandates in place that require face coverings in indoor public places. Learn more about the importance of wearing a face mask here.
- Sanitize your hands often. After touching door handles, register buttons, etc. it’s always a good idea to put on some hand sanitizer until you can get to a sink and wash your hands.
- Don’t touch products unless you are going to purchase them. As readers, we want to pick books up, feel them, smell that good book smell. We want to touch the cover, read the copy, and maybe even flip through the pages. We will get back to that, but for now, do your book research at home and know what you’re looking for.
- Shop local. Shop small. We’ve made it easy for you to find independent booksellers in your area. Check out our regional maps. Some bookstores are continuing to limit their service to curbside pick-up and have shorter in-store hours or are by appointment only. Please make sure to check websites and social media of the business you’re wanting to shop from before you go.
- Shop online. Some booksellers and small publishers are offering online shopping. This is a great option to support local businesses and stay-at-home. Check out our Bookshop store - and find a bookstore near you through Bookshop.com!
While we navigate this new normal, let’s continue to do what we can to support each other and our communities.